Monday, February 24, 2014

Master Bedroom Make-Over

Its amazing how just a coat of paint and some curtains can transform a room. We've lived in our house for about 4 years now and we still haven't painted all the rooms. Since our new arrival will be here any day now, my parents drove down over a weekend and we were able to paint this room in its entirety in just one Saturday. It took all day, but it got done! And I'm ecstatic that its finished. You'll see why below.

master bedroom make-over

When we moved into this house, it was a foreclosure. It looked as if the bank had hired someone to come through and do a quick 'clean-up' of everything. They had replaced the carpet, I think they replaced the counter-top, and, of course, spray painted the walls the ugliest coat of peach paint they could find. Not as bad as Smoker's Teeth Yellow, but enough to make me hate the color with a passion. My husband doesn't care, but he doesn't see the house like I do. If there's a roof - its good. Me? I'd like to not hate my walls.

These pictures do not do the ugly color justice. I wasn't able to get a true "before" set of pictures, but you get the idea.

master bedroom before make-over master bedroom before make-over master bedroom before make-over master bedroom before make-over

Notice those amazingly beautiful paint sample squares on the walls? They've been on our walls for at least 2 years. Yes. Years. We started painting the house when I found out I was pregnant with our first daughter, but we put off painting the rest of the house once she was born. With the arrival of our new daughter, we figured it might be time to knock out at least one more room, plus I was getting tired of looking at those paint spots on our walls.

This is the room now:

master bedroom after make-over master bedroom after make-over master bedroom after make-over

Our final decision for the paint was Olympic's Grey Marble. We used it in our Kitchen and we just fell in love with the color. I love me some grey walls. To me, this is a blank canvas.

olympic grey marble

Isn't it beautiful? It looks so clean!

As for the curtains, we didn't think too hard on them, but my mother and I found some that match the comforter pretty well at Target. They're the Threshold Strie Vertical Stripe Window Panels in Grey. They're great because not only do they match pretty well, but they give the room some texture and warmth.

master bedroom curtains

Next up is trying to find stuff to put on the walls, but as I mentioned in my post about starting Project Life, that will take me a while to do. Hopefully not too bad. The first thing I'd like to find is a print for above our bed. That dream catcher was just put there to have something, and its obviously not going to be permanent. Plus, that thing is super dusty and I can't get that dust off. That is permanent.

I know people say that paint is a cheap way to refresh a room, but it really isn't that cheap. Paint's EXPENSIVE. However, with the couponing that I do, I was able to get $50 in Lowes gift cards free. It cut the cost down in half, but that isn't saying much. There is also a $5 mail in rebate when you buy a gallon of paint, which I submitted. Always look for rebates! We had most of the supplies on hand. Here's a breakdown of what we did end up getting:

3 Gallons of Olympic Paint @ $25.97/each = $77.91
Wooster Rollers for textured walls = $7.99
3M Painters Tape = $5.88
Door Knob = $10.97
Total = $102.75 before the gift card


Photo taken from Lowes website.

One thing that I want to do around the house is change out the door knobs. As I mentioned before, the house was a foreclosure, and from what the neighbors had mentioned about the previous tenants, I really don't want to know what went on. The door knob to our bedroom looked like a screwdriver had been put to it and it had some really sharp angles. Now that Little Girl is able to get to the door knobs, I am concerned that she could cut herself on it. And honestly, I just don't like the copper ones we currently have. In order to ease the costs of buying all new door knobs in one go, I'm planning on getting one or two a month until I've replaced them all. I figured since we were already working on the bedroom, I'd go ahead and get our first set.

I'm seriously loving this change to our room. It really does make me feel like the house is starting to become more of a home.

Anyone else have a good weekend project? Any advice for picking out artwork? Share your advice, questions, and comments below!

This post is linked up to A Bowl Full of Lemons’ One Project at a Time & Tickled Pink.

No comments :

Post a Comment